Hani Sadati started his PhD program in September 2015 at the Department of Integrated Studies in Education, Faculty of Education, McGill University. His doctoral project is about sexual health education and game-based learning, which is conducted under supervision of Professor Claudia Mitchell and co-supervision of Dr. Lisa Trimble. He is very interested in participatory and arts-based methods and aims to apply this methodological approach in his project. He also collaborates with Prof. Mitchell as a Research Assistant in some of her projects, specifically in the area of social and digital media in relation to gender and HIV and AIDS.
Hani is also a member of Heeva Foundation, a Canadian not-for-profit organization with the mission of developing and supporting educational projects for youth in Persian-speaking countries. Right now they are working on an encyclopedia about puberty health.
His research interests include educational studies, Game-based learning, women and gender studies, sexuality and HIV/AIDS, anthropology of health and illness, socio-cultural studies of food and nutrition and qualitative methodology. He believes his background in social science and women studies has helped him to understand the social processes and transformations better. In this stage of his life, he has found education as one of the key factors of a real change in a society and this explains why he has shifted into this field for his PhD program.
In terms of extracurricular activities, he is very interested in traveling, mountain climbing, camping, swimming and photography. His passion about the world heritage sites, especially Iranian historic and natural heritages, lead him to become an official Tour Guide where he received a certificate from Iran Cultural Heritage, Handcrafts and Tourism Organization in 2015. Furthermore, he is a member of Iranian Vegetarian Society and he prefers to follow vegan cuisine for environmental outcomes and peace.
Work experiences & professional activities:
- Teaching Assistant (TA) of Prof. Lisa Trimble, Department of Integrated Studies in Education, Faculty of Education, McGill University, Jan. 2017 to Date.
- Research Assistant (RA) of Prof. Claudia Mitchell, Department of Integrated Studies in Education, Faculty of Education, McGill University, Montreal, CANADA. November 2015 to Date.
- Graduate Student Peer Tutor, Data support unit of the McGill Library, McGill University, Montreal, CANADA. December 2015 to April 2016.
- Lecturer, Department of Sociology, Payame Noor University (PNU), IRAN. 2009 – 2015.
- Teaching (TA) and Research Assistant (RA) of Prof. A. Vedadhir. Department of Anthropology, Faculty of Social Science, University of Tehran, Tehran, IRAN. 2008 – 2015.
- Collaborator and Research Assistant (RA) of Prof. M. Ghazi Tabatabaei. Department of Demography and Population Studies, Faculty of Social Science, University of Tehran, Tehran, IRAN. 2005 – 2015.
- Principal Investigator of the project “Socio-Cultural problems of The Qeidar city: effective factors & possible solutions”, IRAN, 2014.
- Main Research Assistant of a quasi-national Project entitled “The Study of Employer’s Satisfaction with the Accountability of the Organization of Social Security’s Staff in the Selected Districts of Iran” (Managed by Prof. A. Vedadhir), 2007-2009.
- Main Research Assistant & Consultant of the Meta-analytic research of socio-cultural studies of health in Tehran. (Managed by Prof. A. Vedadhir), 2007-2009.
- Collaborator of the Nationwide Project of “The Study of Domestic Violence in Iran: A National Research” (Managed by Prof. M. Ghazi-Tabatabaei) 2002-2004.
- VedadHir, A. & Sadati, S. M. H. (2011) Health in Urban Sociocultural Life, Society and Culture Publication, Tehran, IRAN. [In Persian]
- Alimondegari, M, Ghazi Tabatabie, M, Sadati S M H, (2016) Examining a Theoretical- Conceptual Model of Tendency to Divorce among Couples Resided in Tehran City, Iranian Population Studies Journal, 1(1) (Spring & Summer): 61-94. Link to Eng. abstract on page 209.
- VedadHir, A., Sadati, S. M. H. & NourBakhsh, S.M. (2013) The Obstacles of Women’s Professional Promotion in the system of Medical Education: A Qualitative Study of Medical Education in Iran, Cultural Studies & Communication, (9)31: 11-41. [In Persian] link to English abstract
- Sadati, S.M.H. & VedadHir, A. (2012) Raw-Veganism as a culture, Iranian Journal of Anthropology, 16 (Spring & Summer), 67-115. [In Persian]
- VedadHir, A., HoseynNejad, F., Sadati, S. M. H. & Taghavi, S. (2012) Childbearing as a Socio-cultural Problem: A Constructionist Approach to the Caesarian Section in Iran, Journal of Iranian Anthropological Research, (1)2: 111-135. [In Persian]
- Tavakkol, M., Javadi-Yeganeh, M. R. & Sadati, S. M. H. (2011) A Sociological Study on Women’s Status in Iran’s Medical Education System, Women in Development & Politics, (8)4: 27-50. [In Persian]
- VedadHir, A., Sadati, S. M. H. & Ahmadi, B. (2008) A Content Analysis of Iranians Scientific and Academic Health Journals (Women’s Health in Academic Journals), Women’s Research, (6) 2: 133-155. [In Persian]
Conferences or Presentations:
- Sadati S M H, and Vedadhir A. (2017) Serious Fun: Approaching the Dilemma of HIV and AIDS Through Digital Games, Paper presentation in 35th International Visual Sociology Conference, June 19-22, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada. (admitted)
- Sadati, S M H & Nyariro, M (2017) Picturing Change Through Photovoice: Participatory Evaluation of a Daycare Intervention in an Urban Informal Context, Poster presentation in 35th International Visual Sociology Conference, June 19-22, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada. (admitted)
- Sadati, S. M. Hani (2016) Integrating a cultural safety approach into youth sexual health education in a multicultural context, EGSS Conference, McGill University, Montreal, April 1.
- Sadati, S.M. Hani (2016) Giving voice to Cultural Safety in Sexual Health Education in the age of Digital Media, Youth Participation, Digital Media and Taking Action Roundtable, Why We Remember: HIV/AIDS Media Now Symposiom, IGSF, McGill University, Feb 12–13.
- Ghazi-Tabatabaei, M., Sadati, S. M. H., VedadHir, A. (2013) Meat as a Social Problem: The Rise of Raw-Veganism in the Context of a Meat-loving Culture, Annual Meetings of Society for the Study of Social Problems (SSSP), Session 1 (Transformative Environmental Education), New York, August 9.
- Sadati, S. M. H. (2013) Health & Community-Based Initiatives (CBI), a four-hour workshop, Department of Health, Tehran’s Municipal District 6, 2nd of January, Tehran, IRAN.
- Sadati, S. M. H. & Hemmati, R. (2012) Socio – Cultural Construction of Tastes and Dietary Patterns: A Review of Practices and Procedures, 12th Iranian Nutrition Congress (First International Nutrition Congress of Iran), 5-8 Nov., Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, IRAN.
- Sadati, S. M. H. (2012) Vegetarianism & Natural Nutrition: An Inquiry in Narratives, Claims and Challenges of Vegetarianism in Iran, a Panel on Anthropology of Food and Nutrition, Anthropological Society of Iran, 18th of Feb. Tehran, IRAN.
- BazarganuPour, F. Lamyian, M., Taghavi, A. & Sadati, S. M. H. (2011) Management of National Reproductive Health Programes; The Role of Reproductive Health Care Providers; and Latest Reproductive Health Care Standards, The First International Congress on Midwifery and Reproductive Health, 24 – 26 May, Mashhad, IRAN.
- Attestation of Completion in “Leadership Essentials” workshop series (6 sessions), McGill University, Fall 2016.
- Certificate of Completion in “Basic Business Skills” workshop series (10 sessions), McGill University, Fall 2016.
- Certificate of Participation in “Google for Education”, A two-day workshop, organized by EdTechTeam Montreal, April 30 and May 1, 2016, Montreal, Qc, Canada.
- Confirmation of Attendance at “CAHR/UWW Data Collection”, a two-day workshop held by Canadian Association for HIV Research (CAHR), January 21-22, 2016, Toronto.
- Certificate of Participation in “Qualitative Research Methods in Nutritional Studies”, A thirty-five-hour (3 days) workshop, organized by National Nutrition and Food Technology Research Institute, Dec. 2013, Tehran, IRAN.
- Certificate of Participation in “Documentary Photography”, A Fifty-hour (12 sessions) workshop, organized by Iranian Sociological Association, Nov. 2012 to Feb. 2013, Tehran, IRAN.
- Certificate of Participation in “Interview Analysis”, A one-day workshop, organized by Rokhdade Tazeh Cultural Institute, Tehran, IRAN, July 2012.
- Winner of the Best Scholar Award, Payame Noor University, Province of Zanjan, 2012.
- Certificate of Participation in “Lobby and Advocacy”, A five-day workshop, organized Jointly by Hivos Foundation of Netherlands and Center for Women’s Studies of Tehran University, University of Tehran, IRAN, 21-24 January, 2006.