Farzaneh Barak is a FRQSC-funded doctoral student in the School of Human Nutrition at McGill University. A supervisee of Dr. Hugo Melgar-Quiñonez, she is connected to the Margaret A. Gilliam Institute for Global Food Security as a research assistant on the IDRC-funded project “Harnessing dietary nutrients of under-utilized fish and fish processing by-products to reduce micronutrient deficiencies among vulnerable groups in Uganda – NutriFish.” During her doctoral studies (2016-2018), Farzaneh has also worked on two Global Affairs Canada- funded projects in collaboration with CARE Canada taking place in Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia.
Her current research investigates gendered household decision-making dynamics within NutriFish project in rural Uganda. More specifically, she is interested in detailed understanding of household decision-making processes and their association with household food security and the nutritional status of women and children. Additionally, she will investigate gendered dynamics of decision-making through participatory videos and developing community and policy dialogues under supervision of Prof. Claudia Mitchell and connecting to the Participatory Cultures Lab.
- Fonds de recherche du Québec Société et culture (FRQSC) (49,000.00 CAD), 2019-2021,
Doctoral award, 1st ranked proposal by the evaluation committee (Sociology/Demography committee)
- McGill University, School of Human Nutrition (14,400.00 CAD), 2018, Graduate Excellence Award
- McGill University, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (4,000.00 CAD), 2018, Graduate Mobility Award
- Nevin Scrimshaw International Nutrition Foundation (500.00 US), 2018, Travel Fellowship Award
- McGill University, Institute for Health and Social Policy (4,000.00 CAD), 2017, Graduate Award Program (GAP)
- McGill University, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (4,000.00 CAD), 2017, Graduate Mobility Award
- McGill University, School of Human Nutrition (7,800.00 CAD), 2016, Dietetics and Human Nutrition Award
- Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran (20,000.00 CAD), 2010, Graduate Research Award
- Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran (5,000.00 CAD), 2007, Undergraduate Research Innovation Award